On his new album, Grammy Award-winning saxophonist Kirk Whalum asks How Does Christmas Sound? On his second Holiday-themed album, Whalum doesn’t answer that question in the expected way - revisiting the most familiar carols, the ones that have already worn out their welcome most years by the time Thanksgiving rolls around. Instead, he finds a more spiritual, introspective sound for Christmas, one that acknowledges the melancholy that often accompanies the Yuletide and the faith that is so central to his own celebrations.
- 1. How Does Christmas Sound?
- 2. All I Want For Christmas Is You
- 3. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve
- 4. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- 5. Mary, Did You Know?
- 6. Thorns In The Straw
- 7. Seven
- 8. Angels We Have Heard On High
- 9. Es Ist Ein Ros Entsprungen
- 10. A Babe Is Born
- 11. In The Bleak Midwinter
- 12. Lift Every Voice And Sing
Oct 01Red Bank, NJ, US Kirk Whalum and Keiko Matsui at The Vogel, Count Basie Center for the Arts
Nov 19Chandler, AZ, US Kirk Whalum at Chandler Center for the Arts
Jul 23Cincinnati, OH, US Cincinnati Music Festival Presented by P&G 2022
- Kirk Whalum Everything is Everything: The Music of Donny Hathaway (Rendezvous)
- Kirk Whalum Romance Language (Rendezvous)
- Kirk Whalum The Gospel According To Jazz, Chapter IV (Rendezvous)
- Kirk Whalum The Gospel According To Jazz Chapter IV (DVD) (Rendezvous)
- Kirk Whalum Humanité (Artistry Music)