The Magnetic Fields' tenth full-length album is their first release of new material with Merge since 1999's highly acclaimed 69 Love Songs. The band celebrates their new album with a North American tour that passes through the SXSW Music Showcase in Austin, Texas.
After putting out three synthesizer-free albums, the Magnetic Fields are returning to the signature mix of synth and acoustic sounds they established in the '90s with Merge releases such as The Charm of the Highway Strip and Get Lost. Stephin Merritt has come back to synths with a fresh approach: 'Most of the synthesizers on the record didn't exist when we were last using synthesizers,' he notes. The songs - none over three minutes long - were recorded in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York with Merritt's usual cast of collaborators: Claudia Gonson, Sam Davol, John Woo, Shirley Simms, Johny Blood and Daniel Handler.
- 1. God Wants Us To Wait
- 2. Andrew In Drag
- 3. Your Girlfriend's Face
- 4. Born For Love
- 5. I'd Go Anywhere With Hugh
- 6. Infatuation (With Your Gyration)
- 7. The Only Boy In Town
- 8. The Machine In Your Head
- 9. Goin' Back To The Country
- 10. I've Run Away To Join The Fairies
- 11. The Horrible Party
- 12. My Husband's Pied-A-Terre
- 13. I Don't Like Your Tone
- 14. Quick!
- 15. All She Cares About Is Mariachi
Jan 24Atlanta, GA, US The Magnetic Fields at City Winery Atlanta
Jan 25Atlanta, GA, US The Magnetic Fields at City Winery Atlanta
- The Magnetic Fields Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt And The Magnetic Fields (DVD) (Strange Powers)