With a career at the pinnacle of Irish music that has spanned nearly 30 years, Altan has achieved legendary status and venerable position in a genre that has been equally shaped by the band's influence and genius. More extraordinary is the fact that, after three decades together, the band is making music that is as relevant today as when they arrived on the scene.
On The Poison Glen, Altan is propelled by a raw energy seemingly channeled from the pub sessions on which the band cut their teeth and which has inspired the last 40 year wave of interest in the 'new traditional' Irish sound. The new release comes on the heels of Altan's career retrospective 25th Anniversary Celebration and is reminiscent in its approach to earlier classic albums such as The Red Crow and Horse with a Heart.
The instrumental prowess of Ciaran Tourish, Dermot Byrne, Mark Kelly, Ciarán Curran, and Daithi Sproule alternately shines on sets of spritely jigs, driving reels and gorgeous airs, and interweaves with Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh's ethereal vocals to stunning effect.
- 1. A Fig For A Kiss (Slip Jigs)
- 2. Cailín Deas Crúite na mBó (Song)
- 3. The Pretty Young Girls From Ardara Set (Highlands and Reels)
- 4. The Blackest Crow (Song)
- 5. Tommy Potts Slip (Jig)
- 6. The House At The Corner
- 7. Seolta Geala (Song)
- 8. The New Rigged Ship/Eddie Curran's (Reels)
- 9. Caitlín Triall (Song)
- 10. The Wheels Of The World (Slow Reel)
- 11. The Lancers (Jigs)
- 12. Lily Of The West (Song)
- 13. An Ghealóg (Song)
Jul 25Philadelphia, PA, US Altın Gün and Altan at Kung Fu Necktie
Aug 06Minneapolis, MN, US Altan at Cedar Cultural Center
- Altan The Gap Of Dreams (Compass)